Recap: Kicinski Scores 2 In Tough OT Loss At NCC

Recap: Kicinski Scores 2 In Tough OT Loss At NCC

BETHLEHEM, Pa. - If there ever was a game to learn from it was the men's soccer team's heartbreaking 5-4 overtime defeat at Northampton Community College on Thursday.

Leading 4-3 late in the match, Mustangs Head Coach Tom Haney could only watch as the Spartans capitalized on a miscue around the Mustangs' net to tie the game with less than two minutes to play.

Montgomery had three great opportunities to end the match in overtime, but failed to convert. In the 97th minute Northampton's Joey Jacona and Aaron Timbe split the Mustangs' defense and Jacona deposited the game winner.

"The entire team played hard today and continued to battle," Haney said. "There were some unfortunate miscues that hurt us today. That is how the game can be some days."

Based on the way the match started it looked like it was going to be good day for Montgomery.

The Mustangs jumped out to a 2-0 lead within the first 15 minutes of the match and maintained a two-goal cushion with a 3-1 lead at halftime. Northampton's lone goal of the half was a result of another miscue around the Mustangs' net as the Spartans followed up on a bobbled ball.

The Spartans took the play to the Mustangs early in the second half and eventually evened the game at 3-3. The game then became a defensive battle.

Montgomery regained the lead in the 67th minute when Wilson Gonzalez found Jaron Kicinski breaking toward the goal and he finished to give the Mustangs a 4-3 lead. It was Kicinski's second goal of the afternoon. Unfortunately, the Mustangs were unable to hold it.

"We can and will learn from this loss," Haney said. "We will regroup and be ready for our home opener vs. Harrisburg on Tuesday."

In addition to Kicinski, Igor McVeagh netted his third goal of the season -- a one-time scorcher from about 18 yards out that went off of the upper left side post and into the back right side of the net. The goal was set up by a corner kick off the foot of Geoffrey Horrocks. McVeagh also assisted on the first goal of the match, scored by Gonzalez.

The Mustangs, now 1-1, return to action on Tuesday when they host Harrisburg Area Community College (2-0) for a 3:30 pm match.

- By Bob Kent, Sports Information Director